INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football defeats Western Kentucky 33-31

spiufbupdates092521.jpg

Indiana football defeated Western Kentucky University 33-31 in front of a record crowd at Houchens Industries–L. T. Smith Stadium in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Saturday night. The Hoosiers are now 2-2 this season.

After throwing for less than 250 yards in each of his first three starts, junior quarterback Michael Penix Jr. completed 35 of 53 passes for 373 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. Penix rushed for a touchdown in the first quarter.

Against a Western Kentucky defense that ranked No. 127 in the nation against the rush, graduate running back Stephen Carr ran for 109 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries. His yard and touchdown totals were Indiana career highs.

For a second consecutive game, Indiana took an early 14-0 lead before the opponent closed in prior to halftime. Western Kentucky who boasted the No. 1 passing offense in the nation entering the night, threw for a season-low 365 yards in the loss.

Next week, Indiana will travel to State College, Pennsylvania, to face No. 6 Penn State, a team it defeated 36-35 in overtime a season ago. The game will be Indiana’s first appearance on ABC’s Saturday Night Football since the program began in 2006.

Instant recap by Patrick Felts

FOURTH QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: Malachi Corley eludes Devon Matthews before finding the end zone. Indiana 33, Western Kentucky 31.

TOUCHDOWN: Carr takes it in again for a touchdown to reinforce Indiana's lead. Indiana 32, Western Kentucky 24.

10:02: Hendershot picks up the first down on a 20-yard reception.

THIRD QUARTER

00:59: Indiana's drive will start on its own 23 yard line. after a three and out by the Western Kentucky offense.

FIELD GOAL: Narveson's 34-yard attempt is good. Indiana 26, Western Kentucky 24.

FIELD GOAL: Campbell's 48-yard attempt is good. Indiana 26, Western Kentucky 21.

TOUCHDOWN: Dalvin Smith snuck past the defense and found the endzone to slice into Indiana' lead. Indiana 23, Western Kentucky 21.

HALFTIME

FIELD GOAL: Campbell's 25-yard attempt is good. Indiana 23, Western Kentucky 14.

00:16: Carr picks up the first down.

01:01: McFadden finds Sterns for a loss of 9 yards.

FIELD GOAL: Campbell's 37-yard attempt is good. Indiana 20, Western Kentucky 7.

04:08: Carr picks up the first down on a 5-yard pickup.

05:42: Fryfogle picks up another first down close to the sideline.

07:37: Devon Matthews brings down Kye Robichaux behind the line. Indiana will take over after a turnover on downs.

FIELD GOAL: GOOD. Campbell sends it through the uprights on a 46-yard attempt.

PENALTY: Intentional Grounding on Michael Penix Jr. sets up a fourth and 17.

12:57: Ty Fryfogle picks up the first down on a 17-yard reception.

14:23: Indiana's drive will start at its own 25 after a 14-yard return by Hewitt.

TOUCHDOWN: Adam Cofield takes it into the endzone for Western Kentucky's first points of the game. Indiana 14, Western Kentucky 7.

FIRST QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: Penix takes it into the endzone on a quarterback sneak. Indiana 14, Western Kentucky 0.

INJURY: D.J. Matthews Jr. is in the medical tent after an injury on a punt return.

PENALTY: False Start against Western Kentucky sets up a third and 15.

TOUCHDOWN: Carr scores on his setup, taking the ball up the middle. Indiana 7, Western Kentucky 0.

10:28: Stephen Carr sets up a first and goal with a 15-yard gain.

KICKOFF: Jacolby Hewitt takes it to the Indiana 21 to open the game.

Live updates by Luke Christopher Norton