Indiana women’s cross country ranked No. 21, men ranked No. 26 in latest national poll

<p>The Indiana women&#x27;s cross country team ran against Miami University Sept. 4, 2021, at the IU Championship Course. The men&#x27;s team is ranked No. 4 in the Great Lakes Region and the women&#x27;s team is No. 5.</p>

The Indiana women's cross country team ran against Miami University Sept. 4, 2021, at the IU Championship Course. The men's team is ranked No. 4 in the Great Lakes Region and the women's team is No. 5.

Indiana men’s cross country gained one spot and the women’s team lost two spots in the week three release of the national coaches’ poll. The men’s team rose to No. 26 from No. 27 and the women’s team fell from No. 19 to No. 21.

Both teams held steady in the week three Great Lakes Region rankings. The men’s team stayed ranked No. 4 and the women’s team remained No. 5 in the region.

Indiana did not compete in a meet last weekend and both teams placed second after Purdue in the John McNichols Invitational in Terre Haute, Indiana, on Sept. 18. In the meet, the Hoosiers competed without their top three runners on both the men’s and women’s sides against the full-strength Boilermakers. The decision by head coach Ron Helmer was made to give some of the less experienced runners on the team an opportunity to compete for a win.

Both teams will return to action Friday in the Joe Piane Invitational in South Bend, Indiana.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.