Indiana women fall to No. 19, men to No. 27 in national cross country standings

<p>The Indiana women&#x27;s cross country team run against Miami University Sept. 4, 2021, at the IU Championship Course. The women&#x27;s cross country team fell to No. 19 and the men&#x27;s team fell to No. 27 in the national standings.</p>

The Indiana women's cross country team run against Miami University Sept. 4, 2021, at the IU Championship Course. The women's cross country team fell to No. 19 and the men's team fell to No. 27 in the national standings.

Both Indiana cross country teams dropped in the national coaches’ poll in week two of the season. The women’s team fell from No. 18 to No. 19 and the men’s team lost five spots in the rankings, going from No. 22 to No. 27.

In the Great Lakes Region poll, the Hoosier women dropped two spots from No. 3 to No. 5. The Hoosier men moved up in the rankings, gaining one spot from No. 5 to No. 4.

The drop in the rankings comes following a defeat in the John McNichols Invitation in Terre Haute, Indiana on Saturday. Purdue won both the men’s and women’s meets with Indiana placing second in each. Graduate student Lindsey Carlson of Eastern Illinois University won the women’s race and junior Mikaela Ramirez finished seventh to post the best time on the Indiana women’s team. An Eastern Illinois runner, Dustin Hatfield, also won the men’s race and senior Skylar Stidam finished third to lead the way for the Indiana men.

Indiana cross country will compete next Oct. 1 when the men’s and women’s teams travel to South Bend, Indiana for the Joe Piane Invitational.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.