Indiana men’s soccer’s Daniel Munie wins Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Redshirt sophomore defender Daniel Munie celebrates with his teammates after scoring the game-winning goal March 19, 2021, at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Munie was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after scoring a goal against the University of Akron.

Indiana men’s soccer junior Daniel Munie was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday. Munie scored his third career goal in the 66th minute of Indiana’s matchup with the University of Akron on Friday, which resulted in a 1-1 draw.

Munie, who has started in all five of Indiana’s games this season, scored a header off a corner kick from junior forward Victor Bezerra. The defender’s two previous goals came last season and were both game-winners. Last season, he was named All-Big Ten Second Team and Big Ten All-Tournament Team. 

Munie is the second Indiana player to secure player of the week honors this season, with the first being freshman midfielder Tommy Mihalic who won Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after the opening week of the season. 

Indiana, now 3-1-1 on the season, opens its Big Ten schedule against Rutgers at 8 p.m. Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington. Rutgers is 5-0-1 this season and won its last matchup 2-1 against Saint Joseph’s University on Monday, thanks to a pair of goals from this week’s Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week freshman forward Nico Rosamilia.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments