D.J. Matthews Jr. tears ACL against Western Kentucky, out for season

<p>Graduate wide receiver D.J. Matthews Jr. leaps for a catch against the University of Cincinnati on Sept. 18, 2021, at Memorial Stadium. Matthews tore his ACL against Western Kentucky University and will be out for the rest of the 2021 season.</p>

Graduate wide receiver D.J. Matthews Jr. leaps for a catch against the University of Cincinnati on Sept. 18, 2021, at Memorial Stadium. Matthews tore his ACL against Western Kentucky University and will be out for the rest of the 2021 season.

Indiana football graduate wide receiver D.J. Matthews Jr. tore his ACL and will miss the remainder of the season, head coach Tom Allen announced in a press conference Monday. 

Matthews sustained the injury when returning a punt in the first quarter against Western Kentucky University on Saturday.

Matthews, who transferred to Indiana from Florida State University in November 2020, played three games for Indiana this season.

Against the University of Cincinnati, Matthews was the leading receiver, catching five passes for 120 yards. He also had a rushing touchdown. 

Matthews had an 81-yard punt return touchdown against the University of Idaho. 

Allen said Matthews will be eligible for a medical redshirt this season and can return in 2022.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments