bloomington

Bloomington City Council approves $30 million in bonds to finance affordable housing

cacitycouncil090221.jpg

The Bloomington City Council finalized their approval to lend funding for the renovation of affordable housing at Crestmont’s housing complex during its meeting Wednesday.

The council also passed an amendment to include the Thomas Smith House in the list of historic districts and passed a resolution in support of the abolition of nuclear weapons.

Renovation of Affordable Housing

After deferring final approval from last week’s council meeting, council members unanimously passed Ordinance 21-33. This allows the city to lend $30 million in economic development revenue bonds, which fund an affordable housing project in the Crestmont community located near Summit Street and Monroe Street.

The tax-exempt bonds will fund renovations for Crestmont’s low-income housing complex, including new air conditioning units, dishwashers, washers and dryers.

Thomas Smith House

The council also passed an amendment to Title 8 of the Bloomington municipal code, establishing the Thomas Smith House as a historic district.

The house is currently owned by Edward Morris who attempted to add an attached garage to the historic home. After submitting a building permit for this addition, Morris’ planned construction was delayed since the house was listed on the Bloomington Historic Sites and Structures List.

The amendment will protect and preserve the structure. However, development elsewhere on the lot will still be permitted.

Morris said he supports the nomination of his house to the historical sites list.

Other Notable Items

The council moved to amend Title 2 of the municipal code to place additional limits on the duration of city council meetings. Council President Jim Sims referred the ordinance to the council for discussion during the council’s regular session on Sept. 8.

The council unanimously passed Resolution 21-26, which declares support for the global abolition of nuclear weapons and the Back from the Brink campaign.