W. Quinn Buckner elected first Black IU Board of Trustees chair

<p>IU trustee William Quinn Buckner speaks about his relationship with George Taliaferro on Nov. 1, 2020 at Memorial Stadium. Buckner was elected chair of the IU Board of Trustees Tuesday.</p>

IU trustee William Quinn Buckner speaks about his relationship with George Taliaferro on Nov. 1, 2020 at Memorial Stadium. Buckner was elected chair of the IU Board of Trustees Tuesday.

The IU Board of Trustees elected W. Quinn Buckner as its first Black chair and MaryEllen Kiley Bishop its vice chair Tuesday, according to an IU release.

Buckner has served on the Board of Trustees since 2016. He also serves on not-for-profit boards including the IU Foundation, the Pacers Foundation, the Indiana Youth Institute and the Special Olympics of Indiana.

Buckner, current vice president of communications for Pacers Sports and Entertainment, captained IU’s undefeated NCAA Championship men’s basketball team and the gold medal-winning U.S. men’s Olympic basketball team in 1976, according to the release. He received his bachelor’s degree in business from the Kelley School of Business the same year.

Bishop was elected as a trustee in 2010 and is currently a partner at Cohen Gerelick & Glazier in Indianapolis, according to the release. She received her bachelor’s degree in business from Kelley and a doctorate of jurisprudence from the IU McKinney School of Law at IUPUI.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments