Masks optional for fully vaccinated individuals on IU campuses effective Tuesday

camasks070621.jpeg

IU announced that, effective immediately, mask wearing will be optional on all IU campuses for individuals fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in a press release Tuesday.

The release stated that the decision came as a result of high vaccination rates and of the reduced incidence of COVID-19, and the rule applies for all IU campuses including IU Bloomington, IUPUI and regional campuses. 

"The available COVID-19 vaccines continue to prove their high level of effectiveness in protecting fully vaccinated individuals from contracting the virus, especially protecting them from becoming ill if they do," Dr. Aaron Carroll, IU's chief health officer, said in the release. "Those fully vaccinated are also at lower risk of passing it to others. This, along with the amazing response from our students, faculty and staff in getting vaccinated, makes the time right to change the university's mask policy."

In the statement, IU asks that individuals who aren’t yet fully vaccinated continue wearing masks on campus. Masks will continue to be required on public transportation, including campuses buses, regardless of vaccination status.

According to the CDC’s website, an individual is fully vaccinated two weeks after having received the second dose of a two-dose vaccine, or two weeks after receiving a single-dose vaccine.