UPDATE: Acacia Fraternity suspended for hazing, endangering others

Acacia is located at 702 E. Third St. The International Council of Acacia Fraternity placed the IU chapter on suspension effective July 1, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status.

The IU chapter of Acacia Fraternity was suspended effective July 1 and cannot return to campus any sooner than August 2024, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said

Reasons listed include dishonest conduct, endangering others, hazing, destruction of property, alcohol and failure to comply with Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life and COVID-19 Policies, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status.

Carney said the university received and investigated multiple complaints during the 2020-21 academic year regarding the fraternity allegedly having social events and hazing, causing health and safety concerns as well as violating the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct. 

The International Council of Acacia Fraternity and Dave O’Guinn, vice provost for student affairs and dean of students, mutually agreed the IU chapter must close immediately, Carney said.

Carney said the International Council of Acacia Fraternity suspended the charter of the Indiana Chapter and is pending investigation and revocation. 

To return to campus in August 2024, Carney said the chapter must meet the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life’s extension requirements.

“IU is looking forward to working with the Acacia fraternity to help create a strong, safe and healthy organization upon their return,” Carney said in an email.

Acacia had previously been put on cease-and-desist April 15.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments