Kirkwood Avenue flooded after thunderstorm Friday night

<p>Cars sit in the street after being damaged by flood waters Friday night early on Kirkwood Ave. Emergency responders reported 17 water rescues, according to a release from the City of Bloomington on Saturday.</p>

Cars sit in the street after being damaged by flood waters Friday night early on Kirkwood Ave. Emergency responders reported 17 water rescues, according to a release from the City of Bloomington on Saturday.

Kirkwood Avenue was flooded after heavy thunderstorms, including torrential rain and high winds, hit Bloomington on Friday.

There were multiple flash flood warnings Friday night that continued into Saturday morning from the National Weather Service.

Emergency responders had 17 water rescues and there are currently no known deaths, according to a press release from the City of Bloomington.

The release said members of the Bloomington Fire Department, Bloomington Police Department, Public Works and City of Bloomington Utilities worked through the night responding to emergency calls for service. 

All residents should avoid flooded areas and pay attention to emergency announcements as additional rain is possible this weekend. Residents of Monroe County can sign up for the Monroe County Emergency Alert System here.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.