sports track & field

IU Track and Field earns six All-America honors at NCAA National Championships

spiutrackrecap061621-jpg

IU outdoor track and field sent eight athletes over the weekend to compete in the 2021 NCAA Outdoor National Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

Six of the eight Hoosiers that made the trip as individuals to Hayward Field on the campus of the University of Oregon left with All-America honors, but the IU team was unable to secure a spot in the field. 

On day one, sophomore Nathan Stone started the event off by tying for 13th in the pole vault by clearing a height of 5.15 meters. The finish earned the underclassmen a spot on the All American Second Team. 

The Hoosiers enjoyed their most successful day of the championships on Thursday, with four student-athletes achieving All-America status. 

Senior Khayla Dawson placed fourth in the shot put with a heave of 17.99 meters. The mark ensured Dawson finishes her career at IU as a three-time First Team All American selection.

Dawson was joined in the top ten of the shot put by junior Maddy Pollard, who added Second Team All America to her resume with a mark of 17.18 meters to finish ninth overall. Senior Leah Moran and junior Anna Watson also secured spots on the All America Second Team list, with Moran finishing in ninth in the long jump and Watson 12th in the pole vault. 

After an uneventful third day, the Hoosiers wrapped up their outdoor season by adding another name to the All America Second Team, with senior Kelsey Harris finishing the 1500 meter in 4:13.93 to finish ninth and break her own school record. 

Moran and Dawson both competed in their respective final collegiate competitions, with Moran taking 19th place in the triple jump and Dawson finishing in 20th in the discus. 

The Hoosiers will return to action in the fall in the 2021 Cross Country season.