IU swimming head coach Ray Looze to join ASCA Hall of Fame

<p>IU swimming head coach Ray Looze raises his arms during the Big Ten Tournament meet Feb. 20, 2019 at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington. Looze is in his 18th year coaching IU and will be inducted into the ASCA Hall of Fame later this year.</p>

IU swimming head coach Ray Looze raises his arms during the Big Ten Tournament meet Feb. 20, 2019 at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington. Looze is in his 18th year coaching IU and will be inducted into the ASCA Hall of Fame later this year.

IU swimming head coach Ray Looze will be inducted into the American Swimming Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2021, per an IU Athletics release Thursday.

Looze is in his 18th year at IU, 16 of which he has spent as the head coach for both the men’s and women’s swimming programs.  

During his tenure at IU, Looze has seen the Hoosiers claim 720 All-American honors and crown 22 NCAA Champions. He has also helped collect nine Big Ten Championships and 18 top-10 finishes at the NCAA Championships, and coached 10 Olympic swimmers who have earned seven medals.

Looze was a coach with Team USA in 2016 at the Rio Summer Olympics. He has coached Lilly King, Cody Miller and Blake Pieroni, three IU swimmers who have found success at both the Olympics and World Championships. 

He has been named the Big Ten Coach of the Year on ten occasions, five times each for the men’s and women’s programs. He was also named the ASCA Coach of the Year in 2017 and the College Swimming Coaches Association of America National Coach of the Year in 2018.

Looze is the second IU coach to be inducted in the ASCA Hall of Fame. James ‘Doc’ Counsilman was inducted in 2002.

University of California, Los Angeles women’s head coach Cyndi Gallagher and Swarthmore college and club coach Charlie Kennedy will be inducted alongside Looze.   

The official induction for the ASCA Hall of Fame will take place on September 16, 2021, during the ASCA World Clinic in Orlando, Florida.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments