sports softball

IU softball gains transfer utility player Cora Bassett, loses freshman pitcher Amber Linton

spiusoftball062821.jpg

IU softball has had an active role in the transfer portal this past week.

On June 17, junior utility player Cora Bassett joined the IU softball team, leaving in-state rival Purdue.

Last season, Bassett had a .311 batting average, 32 hits, 22 RBI and three home runs with the Boilermakers, and was named to the All-Big Ten Second Team.

Her batting average would have ranked fourth among the Hoosiers last season, behind senior catcher Bella Norton, senior left fielder Gabbi Jenkins and senior third baseman Grayson Radcliffe.

On the other side of the transfer portal, IU lost sophomore pitcher Amber Linton to the University of New Mexico.

“I chose UNM because I felt that the coaching staff showed belief in me and my potential like no one else had,” Linton said in a press release. “Along with this, the UNM softball program is on the rise and I see so much potential for where this program could go.”

Linton finished her freshman year at IU with a 5-2 record, 21 strikeouts and a 4.87 ERA with the Hoosiers throughout 44.1 innings pitched last season, including a win against Minnesota, who later became a tournament team.