City of Bloomington to host COVID-19 safe reverse parade for Independence Day

<p>Participants in the Independence Day parade carry the American flag July 4, 2007. During the Independence Day Reverse Parade the entries will remain stationary while the spectators drive or bicycle past them.</p>

Participants in the Independence Day parade carry the American flag July 4, 2007. During the Independence Day Reverse Parade the entries will remain stationary while the spectators drive or bicycle past them.

An Independence Day Reverse Parade, meaning parade entries remain stationary while spectators drive or bicycle past them, will take place July 3 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Purple Lot of IU’s Memorial Stadium, according to a City of Bloomington press release. 

Friday is the last day for local businesses and organizations to enter the parade. Entries can include floats, musical groups, classic cars, emergency vehicles and more, according to the release. 

Awards such as Best Overall Entry, Best Youth Entry, Best Vehicle, Best Float and the Keith Kline Spirit Award will be presented at the reverse parade, according to the release. 

The reverse parade is a way to celebrate Independence Day safely amidst the pandemic, according to the release. 

Bloomington Parks and Recreation and Downtown Bloomington Inc. began collaborating months ago to plan the reverse parade, Bloomington Parks and Recreation community events coordinator Bill Ream said in the release.

The parade will feature the first 50 entries to register. Entries can register through the Bloomington Parks and Recreation webpage, with a small entry space costing $15 and a large entry space costing $20. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments