bloomington

Bloomington Housing Authority will open Housing Choice Voucher on June 22

newsfiller061721-jpg

The Bloomington Housing Authority will open the waitlist for the Housing Choice Voucher Program at noon June 22, according to their website. 

The Housing Choice Voucher assists renters by paying a portion of their rent to their landlords. Individuals qualify for the Housing Choice Voucher based on household size and income according to BHA.

People who receive a voucher usually pay between 30 or 40% of their adjusted gross income, which is total income subtracted by any deductions that can be claimed, according to BHA. 

The Housing Voucher Program is also known as Section 8. Congress passed Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act in 1974 to provide people earning low wages with additional housing options, according to ProPublica

Applicants can apply by submitting the pre-application on the BHA website and clicking on the “Apply Now” button under “Need Housing Assistance?” according to BHA.

Individuals can also email dharmon@blha.net or call 812-339-3491 for details about the Housing Choice Voucher. Applicants with special needs can receive assistance by calling 812-339-3491 x 113.

Applicants selected from the waiting list then complete a full application and attend an interview. Applicants can check the status of their pre-application on waitlistcheck.com or by calling 855-868-6739.