IU softball wins 3 of 4 against Michigan State this weekend

<p>Senior infielder Grayson Radcliffe celebrates with her teammates after hitting a home run against Michigan State on Saturday at Andy Kaufman Field. The IU softball team went 2-1 this weekend against Michigan State at home. </p>

Senior infielder Grayson Radcliffe celebrates with her teammates after hitting a home run against Michigan State on Saturday at Andy Kaufman Field. The IU softball team went 2-1 this weekend against Michigan State at home.

IU softball wrapped this weekend’s series against Michigan State, winning three out of the four games played in Bloomington. Senior pitcher Emily Goodin started in all four games for the Hoosiers, pitching three shutouts. 

“Emily Goodin, Emily Goodin, Emily Goodin,” head coach Shonda Stanton said about how the team was able to take control of the series. “She went four games and did not give up a single earned run. Only one extra base hit in the four games.”

The first game on Friday was a slow one with not much action as Goodin completed the first shutout of the series. The only run was driven during the bottom of the third when senior third baseman Grayson Radcliffe tripled, which allowed senior senior left fielder Gabbi Jenkins to score. The defense then prevailed to keep the 1-0 victory. 

The Hoosiers then swept the doubleheader Saturday. Radcliffe and senior catcher Bella Norton both hit two-run home runs to secure the 4-0 victory during the second game. The third game included a one-run RBI from sophomore defensive player Abby Meeks, a run after senior third baseman Katie Lacefield successfully stole home and a sacrifice fly from Jenkins to secure the 3-0 win. 

The last game was a turnaround for both teams. The Spartans offense struck early in the first inning with two-run RBI from freshman infielder Zaquai Dumas. IU couldn’t provide the offense needed to combat the two unearned runs, and IU lost the last game of the series 2-0, getting shut out by freshman pitcher Ashley Miller. 

The Hoosiers will take on the Penn State Nittany Lions for the last series played at Andy Mohr Field this season.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments