sports softball

IU softball splits final series with Maryland, finishes fifth in the Big Ten

spiusbrecap051721.jpg

IU softball finished the 2021 season with a 25-19 record after a series split on the road against Maryland. 

In the first game of the series Friday, senior pitcher Emily Goodin threw the third no-hitter of her career, with the last one being on Feb. 21, 2020, a 13-0 victory against Bucknell University

It was also the 28th no-hitter in program history, and Goodin’s 17th complete game of the season. 

The run support in the 2-0 victory came during the bottom of the sixth. Senior catcher Bella Norton hit an RBI single on a fielder's choice, then freshman catcher Grace Lorsung grounded out to the shortstop, allowing another run to score. 

The Hoosiers lost both games of the double-header on Saturday. During the 3-1 loss to the Terrapins in the first game, senior left fielder Gabbi Jenkins recorded her 18th double of the season. The sixth-inning double broke Michelle Venturella and Mary Haslinger’s shared program record of 17 doubles in a season.

Maryland shutout IU in the third game behind pitching from sophomore Trinity Schlotterbeck. Freshman outfielder Jaeda McFarland and junior outfielder Taylor Okada both hit one-run RBI singles in the bottom of the first. Then sophomore infielder Taylor Liguori hit a sacrifice fly to drive in another run during the bottom of the third inning. 

In the bottom of the fourth, junior infielder Regan Kerr drove in an RBI triple. In the fifth, Okada drove in the game-winning run when she doubled into left-center field for the 5-0 victory. 

The Hoosiers bounced back for a victory in the final game. Jenkins got the Hoosiers on the board first with a solo home run into right field during the top of the fourth. Senior first baseman Annika Baez followed with a RBI. 

Maryland tied the game during the bottom of the fourth with an RBI each from redshirt senior outfielder Micaela Abbatine and senior outfielder Jojo McRae. 

Lorsung provided the game-winner for IU, hitting an RBI single into center field that scored Jenkins for the 3-2 win. 

[Related: IU softball heads to College Park to take on Maryland

Emily Goodin recorded six strikeouts during this series, moving her into 13th in program history for most strikeouts in a season with 173. She also sits in fourth place for most career strikeouts in program history, with 583 throughout her five years. 

Jenkins also extended her record for most career stolen bases, totaling 96. 

IU, who finished fifth in the Big Ten, did not get a bid for the NCAA Tournament. The Hoosiers will return next season in the spring.