arts music

COLUMN: Stroll into spring with this contemplative, lighthearted playlist

entspringplaylist040821-illo

When spring comes around, I don’t just admire the flowers and weather. I take time to think about what the season symbolizes — growth, maturity, beginnings and introspection. While processing all the feelings of the season, I like having songs that match my moods and enhance my appreciation for this time of year.

“Maybe” by Ingrid Michaelson

“Maybe” truly embodies soul-searching and fresh starts. Michaelson tells a lover that if they’re meant to be together, then they’ll end up together — but, for now, they need to step away from one another. It’s the closer on Michaelson’s 2009 album “Everybody,” and rather than being miserable about the situation, she balances wisdom and optimism for the future superbly. 

“Speak Now” by Taylor Swift

Ah, Taylor. Can’t have a playlist without her. The song off her 2010 album of the same moniker places Swift at the scene of a wedding trying to steal the love of her life away before he can marry the wrong girl. The pastel imagery and light acoustic sound of “Speak Now” makes me think this wedding definitely took place in the spring — the time for past love to blossom once again.

“This Will Be Our Year” by The Zombies

All of these songs are great for contemplation, but this is one of the most thought-provoking. As the weather begins to warm and life begins to change, I can’t help but think about what will be in store during the year ahead. This joyous song is lyrically simple but takes time to acknowledge both the hardships of the past and the excitement the future holds.

“Road to Nowhere” by Talking Heads

To someone who hasn’t heard the song, it’s probably a very strange look at what the future holds — it’s not really certain of anything. And maybe this is weird, but I’ve always taken a bit of comfort in the ultimate idea the song proposes: There’s no real rhyme or reason to how life and death goes, but that’s OK. Overall, the song feels like a giant existential juxtaposition symbolized by the words in the title — I mean, a road to nowhere? 

“Mother Nature’s Son” by The Beatles

If you aren’t an avid Beatles fan, there’s a chance you don’t know this one — or, if you do, you’ve listened to the John Denver version. The song, though short, packs many lyrical connections to nature and has a bittersweet tone. Paul McCartney says he was thinking about the connection he made with nature as a child when he wrote the song — and the result is a pleasant, sincere tune.

“Energy” by The Apples in Stereo

The name says it all. If you like to listen to music while you take a sunny spring stroll, “Energy” is the perfect theme song for your walk. It’s anthem-esque and it has simple lyrics anyone can sing along to. In bad times, this song reminds me of the good in the world. Because, as the song says, the world is full of energy and possibility. 

“Count on Me” by Bruno Mars

The breezy days of early spring make me want to listen to bouncy tunes, and Mars’ almost tear-jerkingly sweet song about friendship is as refreshing as that spring wind. This one can appeal to any generation and will stand the test of time.  

“First Day Of My Life” by Bright Eyes

As you might’ve heard in English classes throughout the years, spring often takes on the themes of birth and rebirth. “First Day Of My Life” sounds like a gentle lullaby, but it’s really a very tender romp through a relationship. It’s about meeting that one person who changes your worldview and prompts you to start a new chapter.