coronavirus

IUPUI opens COVID-19 vaccine clinic to faculty, staff and students

caiupuivax040721.jpg

IUPUI opened its COVID-19 vaccine clinic Tuesday at its Campus Center Student Health Clinic, where students, faculty and staff can receive the Pfizer vaccine. 

According to Fox 59, students began receiving special links to schedule their first shots through email and text as early as last Friday. The first appointments are now being held, with second dose distribution scheduled for April 26, May 3 and May 10. 

IU Medical Response Team Director of Vaccine Initiatives Lana Dbeibo said in an interview to Fox 59 that IU is working to make everyone aware of the proper time frame between when a first and second shot should be received, allowing people to plan around finals and travel home for summer. This time frame is currently three weeks between doses, according to CDC guidance.

Related: [New IU COVID-19 vaccines will become available in upcoming weeks]

While people can receive both doses of the vaccine on campus, they can also get a first dose on campus and schedule their second dose of the same vaccine at a different location. To do so, they will need to present valid identification and proof of a first dosage.

Currently, vaccinations are only open to IUPUI faculty, staff and students. In a March 25 Q&A, IUPUI Chancellor Nasser H. Paydar and campus leaders said IUPUI students 16 and older who live in Indiana can get a vaccine, regardless of U.S. citizenship status, as long as they bring some kind of document with their name and birthday printed on it. I.Ds and medical records, for example, are acceptable. Crimson Cards, used for IU student identification, do not count at this time. 

Dbeibo said IUPUI was expecting to receive 5,000 doses of the vaccine in their first allocation. 

Although Indiana’s state mask mandate ended April 6, Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett announced March 25 that Indianapolis will keep its mask mandate and capacity restrictions in place until Marion County health officials call for an end to the public health order. 

Related: [Bloomington facility is one of two locations producing Johnson & Johnson vaccine]