IU women’s soccer tournament match against Michigan canceled, advances to play Penn State

<p>Sophomore defender Karlee Luker dribbles the soccer ball March 21 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU&#x27;s Big Ten Regional Weekend match against Michigan was canceled due to COVID-19 cases in the Michigan program. </p>

Sophomore defender Karlee Luker dribbles the soccer ball March 21 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU's Big Ten Regional Weekend match against Michigan was canceled due to COVID-19 cases in the Michigan program.

IU women’s soccer’s Big Ten Regional Weekend match against Michigan has been deemed a no contest by the Big Ten due to COVID-19 issues within the Wolverines’ program, the team announced Friday. IU will advance to face Penn State on Sunday, with the winner advancing to the Big Ten Tournament.

IU’s match with Michigan in State College, Pennsylvania, was originally scheduled for Thursday, before being postponed to Friday and ultimately canceled. The Hoosiers defeated the Wolverines 2-0 in Ann Arbor, Michigan,, on March 28.

IU will stay in State College ahead of its match with conference regular season champions Penn State on Sunday at Jeffrey Field. Penn State defeated IU 2-1 on March 4.

The winner of Sunday’s contest advances to the Big Ten Tournament to face the winner of the Rutgers-Ohio State match, and will be played on the campus of the highest remaining seed.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments