sports golf

IU women’s golf finishes fifth at Indiana Spring Challenge

spiuwg040521.jpg

IU women’s golf finished fifth in the Indiana Spring Challenge at Covered Bridge Golf Club in Sellersburg, Indiana. The Hoosiers recorded two rounds Sunday and played their final round Monday.

The team finished the tournament in fifth place behind three other Big Ten teams in Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and the University of Notre Dame. Senior Mary Parsons withdrew from the event after her second round with a foot injury, which left IU with no score to drop on Monday.

Senior Angela Aung led the Hoosiers with a 222 6-over-par overall score through three rounds and tied for ninth place. Head coach Clint Wallman credited her practice for her strong performance.

“Angela has been working tirelessly on her swing mechanics and the ability to make changes,” Wallman said after the tournament. “She’s turning herself into a scoring type of player.”

Sophomore Hanna Tanaka had her best scores of the season with a 225 9-over-par through three rounds, finishing tied for 15th. Tanaka has now completed seven straight rounds in the 70s for the Hoosiers. 

“Her biggest gain is letting the game come to her,” Coach Wallman said. “She is really starting to understand how to handle each situation.”

The Hoosiers will play in the Indiana Invitational at the Pfau Course in Bloomington for their final tournament before the Big Ten Championship on April 23-25 at TPC River’s Bend in Maineville, Ohio.