sports water polo

No. 13 IU water polo prepares to take on No. 4 UC Berkeley in regular season closer

spiuwppreview042221.jpg

No. 13 IU women’s water polo is heading into its final weekend of regular-season competition against the No. 4 University of California, Berkeley. The teams will play a two-match series Saturday and Sunday.

The Hoosiers are 9-13 this season while the Golden Bears are 9-6. Both teams have a losing conference record, IU at 1-9 and UC Berkeley at 3-6.

A factor IU can capitalize on is its recent defensive success. Junior goalkeeper Mary Askew is coming off of her second straight week of double-digit saves in a single match.

Including Askew, there have been eight different players on the team who have recorded a steal in the past two weekends of competition. The Hoosiers have played physical defense this month and they’ll look to use this momentum to stop the Golden Bears in their tracks.

UC Berkeley is fresh off two conference losses against No. 2 Stanford University on April 17 and 18, and the Hoosiers are looking to extend the Golden Bears’ losing streak as they both prepare for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships starting April 30.

IU’s first match against UC Berkeley will be at 4 p.m. Saturday in Berkeley, California. The second match will be Sunday at the same time.