sports track & field

IU track and field competes in B1G North Florida Invitational over the weekend

spiutfrecap040421.jpg

IU track and field traveled south this weekend to compete in the B1G North Florida Invitational in Jacksonville, Florida, against 12 other conference opponents, with Northwestern being the lone absentee. 

The Hoosier men entered the meet ranked seventh in the Great Lakes Region by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association, and the IU women were ranked sixth in the region. Neither team is currently ranked in the national top 25. 

In Jacksonville, IU participated in another non-scoring meet in which no team was declared the winner. These non-scoring matches have been common this season as teams work toward the conference and national championships. 

On the women’s side, the Hoosiers were once again led by senior Leah Moran, who has dominated the beginning of her final season. 

Moran took first place in the long jump with a personal best mark of 6.39 meters, a mark that currently ranks fifth in the NCAA East. She followed that up with a victory in the triple jump invitational with a distance of 42-feet, 11.5-inches.

Freshman Mahogany Jenkins also excelled in the field, scoring a personal best of 1.69 meters in the high jump to tie for sixth. Jenkins took down another personal record on Saturday, when she won the open triple jump with a mark of 12.37 meters. 

Three more IU women improved their personal bests, beginning with junior Bailey Heterenstein, who knocked three seconds off of her previous record to finish second in the 800-meter with a time of 2:09.90. 

Sophomore Alyssa Robinson advanced to the Saturday final by notching the third-best time in the 100-meter prelims with a personal best of 11.56 seconds. She was joined by senior Kelsey Harris in the personal record column, as Harris recorded a time of 4:16.42 in the 1,500 meter. It was the first race in more than a year for the senior. 

For the men, senior Treyton Harris led the way with a third-place finish in the long jump with a distance of 7.60 meters. Harris has been successful since returning for his final outdoor season as a Hoosier, as he picked up a win in the long jump a week ago. 

Junior Rikkoi Brathwaite, the 2021 Big Ten Indoor Player of the Year, snagged a new personal record in the 200-meter, finishing with a time of 20.97 seconds. 

Up next, IU will return to Bloomington to host the Big Ten Indiana Invitational No. 2 at Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex. The meet will begin April 9 and conclude on April 10.