IU men’s golf to compete in first collegiate tournament played at the Pfau Course

spiumgpreview040221.jpg

IU men’s golf will welcome eight other teams to Bloomington this weekend for the first collegiate golf tournament played at the Pfau Course.

The Pfau Course, designed by Steve Smyers and two-time major winner Fuzzy Zoeller, opened June 15, 2020. The course was promptly named the third best new course in the country by Golf Digest, and the fourth best College Campus Course by Golfweek.

The course’s features include 147 bunkers, greens ranging in size from 4,145 to 10,014 square feet and six sets of tees extending as far as 7,908 yards. 

Competing teams will include Big Ten foes Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and Minnesota along with non-conference teams from Ball State University, the University of Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan University and the University of Memphis.

IU’s depth chart, in order of position, will consist of freshmen Clay Merchent and Drew Salyers, juniors Mitch Davis and Harry Reynolds and sophomore Eric Berggren.

Berggren is making his season debut in the lineup for IU after playing in three events during the previous season.

IU graduate student Brock Ochsenreiter, seniors Ethan Shepherd, Evan Yakubov and Tate Heintzelman and sophomore Drew Giacchetto will be competing unattached to the university.

The event will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday in a shotgun start format with continuous play into the second round. The final round will begin Sunday off split tees at 9 a.m.