crime & courts

IMPD has identified the 8 killed in Indianapolis. At least 4 were Sikhs, coalition says.

canamesbrief041621.jpg

Police have released the names and ages of the eight who were killed Thursday night in a mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility. Next-of-kin of the deceased have been notified, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement posted to Facebook Friday night.

The youngest killed were 19 years old. The oldest was 74.

Here are the names and ages of the deceased, according to IMPD:

• Matthew R. Alexander, 32

• Samaria Blackwell, 19

• Amarjeet Johal, 66

• Jasvinder Kaur, 50

• Jaswinder Singh, 68

• Amarjit Sekhon, 48

• Karli Smith, 19

• John Weisert, 74

The Marion County Coroner’s Office will complete autopsies to determine the causes of death, IMPD said. Names of the seven others who were injured have not been released.

The Sikh Coalition, which describes itself as a national organization that defends Sikh civil liberties, announced Friday that at least four Sikh community members were among those killed and injured

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department publicly identified the suspect in the killings as 19-year-old Brandon Scott Hole around 4 p.m. Friday. Hole killed himself after killing four people outside of the facility and four inside, police said.

FedEx officials confirmed Hole was a former employee at the facility, IMPD Deputy Police Chief Craig McCartt said Friday afternoon. It is unclear whether Hole was fired or left the job voluntarily, McCartt said. He said Hole was last employed there in 2020, possibly in the fall.

McCartt said law enforcement did not have any information indicating whether Hole had any relation to the workers at the facility beyond being a former employee. Police have not released a suspected motive.

Editor’s note: All names in this article appear exactly as they were written in statements from law enforcement. Please contact us at editor@idsnews.com if you see any errors.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the age of 50-year-old Jasvinder Kaur and misspelled the names of Amarjit Sekhon and Karli Smith based on information provided by IMPD.