IU panel to discuss rural-urban divide in China and India on Wednesday

<p>IU will host a free panel event Wednesday covering the issue of rural-urban divide in China and India. </p>

IU will host a free panel event Wednesday covering the issue of rural-urban divide in China and India.

IU will conduct a free virtual panel at 9 a.m. Wednesday  discussing the divide between rural and urban people in China and India, and how these examples can apply to the United States.

Professor Anu Sabhlok from the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research in Mohali, India, and Professor Xie Guihua from Renmin University of China in Beijing, China, will be attending as panelists. Professor Ishan Ashutosh from IU’s Department of Geography and Ethan Michelson from IU’s Department of Sociology will also be participating in the panel.

Panelists will discuss China’s household-based registration system, often called the hukou system, and the caste system in India, and whether these systems bar people from certain opportunities or perpetuate social dissonance through classifications, according to the event description.

More information on how to register for the event is available online.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments