IU track and field hosts first outdoor meet of the season over the weekend

spiutfrecap032821.jpg

IU track and field began their outdoor season at home over the weekend, hosting the Big Ten Indiana Invite No. 1. The Hoosiers competed against a field featuring many of their conference foes, including Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan State.

The meet was non-scoring, meaning no team was declared the winner, but head coach Ron Helmer said he saw the meet as a great opportunity for his squad to ease into the outdoor season, which will go through June. 

IU has a group of seniors who are using their extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA to compete in the outdoor season. Some competed this weekend.

Leading those seniors was Leah Moran, who earned a double victory in the long jump and triple jump, respectively. Moran took down two of her personal records in her first meet in nearly 700 days, recording marks of 6.28 meters in the long jump and 13.25 meters in the triple jump. 

The women got two other victories in the field, with junior Anna Watson taking first place in the pole vault, clearing a height of 4.20 meters. Junior Hope Purcell picked up her first win of the season in the high jump, recording a height of 1.70 meters. 

On the track, the IU women received a boost from returning senior Joely Pinkston, who rallied late to take second place in the 1500 meter with a time of 4:32.65. Sophomore Alyssa Robsinson picked up a second place finish of her own, clocking a time of 55.43 in the 400 meter. 

On the men’s side, the Hoosiers were once again led by sophomore Nathan Stone, who tied for first in the pole vault competition by clearing a personal best height of 5.45 meters. Senior Brock Mammoser finished right behind him, taking third place with a height of 5.15 meters. 

Returning senior Treyton Harris ran away with the long jump competition, recording a personal record of 7.87 meters. 

Senior Jyles Etienne returned to the win column in the high jump, where he cleared a height of 1.99 meters. Freshman Nolan Landis had a successful debut, finishing fifth in the discus competition with a distance of 52.04 meters.