COLUMN: J.J. Watt signing, Russell Wilson drama shake up NFC West picture

spnsc030221.jpg

As bad organizations continue to crumble in the NFL this offseason, teams in the NFC West have taken advantage. The Arizona Cardinals poached another Houston Texan — five-time pro bowler J.J. Watt — Monday. This comes after the Los Angeles Rams traded quarterback Jared Goff for former Detroit Lions franchise quarterback Matthew Stafford.

The most impressive thing about the move is the Cardinals’ ability to sway Watt to Arizona despite allegedly offering less money than both the Indianapolis Colts and Cleveland Browns, both of which made the playoffs. The deciding factor may have been the Phoenix lifestyle and a reunion with former teammate wide receiver Deandre Hopkins, rather than signing for a higher salary somewhere else. 

Arizona’s franchise quarterback Kyler Murray and head coach Kliff Kingsbury will enter their third year together with the Cardinals. By adding Watt to an otherwise average defense, the Cardinals could get over the hump next season and make the playoffs behind his skill and his leadership. 

Following a season-ending injury to dominant All-Pro pass rusher Chandler Jones, the Cardinals still ranked 13th in total defense. The opportunity to get Jones healthy along with bringing in Watt could boost the Cardinals into becoming a top 5 defense. 

Safety Budda Baker received first-team All-Pro honors last season. If 2020 NFL Draft first-round pick Isaiah Simmons can improve with the veteran stars, he will round out one of the top defensive units in the NFL next season. 

A top defense is certainly not definite. Long-time All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson will likely depart from Arizona as reports of the two sides not being close to a deal have been rumored. The 31-year-old had his worst season statistically in 2020 and is headed into free agency Watt’s signing. Watt will also be 32 years old and is very injury prone. 

To win the division for the first time since 2015, Arizona will have to outduel the new-look Rams. The Rams look scary, as their No. 1 Defense in the NFL is now adding a proven quarterback with talent around him.

After four straight winning seasons, head coach Sean McVay will be paired with a highly skilled quarterback for the first time in Matthew Stafford.

The Rams met division rival Seattle Seahawks in the wild-card round of the playoffs last season and beat them 30-20, before losing to the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round. The Cardinals missed the playoffs at 8-8 but showed promise, and the injury-riddled San Francisco 49ers finished 6-10 and out of the playoffs. 

Seattle and San Francisco have been stale in the offseason movement so far, but are leading in drama. While both organizations have been strong in recent years, quarterback rumors are weighing down the teams. 

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson has been rumored to leave the organization. The reigning Walter Payton Man of the Year is reportedly unhappy with the lack of pass protection in Seattle, and would consider a new home on the Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Las Vegas Raiders or Chicago Bears, according to reports from NFL insider Adam Schefter.

As a Super Bowl champion and eight-time Pro Bowler, Wilson is an irreplaceable leader in the Seahawks’ offense. 

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo’s future in San Francisco is questionable. The 49ers have openly engaged in trade talks for other NFL quarterbacks, and are flirting with the idea of taking a rookie quarterback with the 12th pick in the NFL Draft. Popular rumors include Teddy Bridgewater, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, or draft prospects Trey Lance and Mac Jones. 

Garoppolo is signed through the next two seasons, but his contract includes no guaranteed money. This allows the 49ers to easily trade or release him with little to no financial repercussions. 

Three different NFC West teams have been crowned champions of the division over the past three seasons. With so much chaos, predicting one of the best divisions in football is harder than ever. 

My prediction is that Seattle will continue on their downward spiral, lose Russell Wilson and any hope of a playoff berth. The 49ers and Cardinals will improve with a healthy and talented roster, while the Rams will continue to rise under Sean McVay.