sports women's soccer

IU women’s soccer receives recognition with weekly awards, first national ranking since 2009

spmelanieforbes030221.jpg

After a week that saw IU women’s soccer defeat both Rutgers and Iowa at home, two players received national and conference honors, and the Hoosiers earned their first national ranking since 2009.

IU women’s soccer was ranked in the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 poll at No. 24 on Tuesday.

The team defeated Rutgers 1-0 in overtime Thursday, thanks to a golden goal from senior forward Melanie Forbes in the 94th minute. The Scarlet Knights are ranked at No. 19 in this week’s poll, second among Big Ten teams. The Hoosiers also defeated the Hawkeyes 2-0 on Sunday.

The Hoosiers received 87 points in this week’s poll, the third most of any Big Ten team. Northwestern, IU's lone defeat in its 1-0 season-opening loss, received eight votes in the poll, the fourth most among Big Ten teams. 

Forbes was named the TopDrawerSoccer Player of the Week for the entire nation, as well as Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week, which she shares with Ohio State sophomore forward Emma Sears.

Forbes scored three goals in two games last week, including the go-ahead goal against Rutgers. Forbes’ three goals this season are more than her entire 2019 total.

Senior Bethany Kopel was named the Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week, posting a shutout in both of last week’s games. Kopel has allowed one goal in three games this season, and she has a 91.7 save percentage.

This week, IU will have a ranked matchup Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in State College, Pennsylvania, when the team will travel to play No. 13 Penn State. The game will be broadcast on BTN Plus.