student life

IU unveils new indoor bike storage room at Ballantine Hall

caballantinebike031021.jpg

A new bike storage room opened at Ballantine Hall Tuesday, storing over 100 bikes. The hub includes two spaces for bike repair and a bike part vending machine, according to the IU transportation website.

IU Transport Demand Management created the room, located at the northeast corner of Ballantine Hall, to be available to students, faculty and staff at all hours, according to the transportation website. The door is button-activated, and CrimsonCards must be used for access, according to the transportation website.

The plan for the bike hub is part of the 2015 IU Bloomington Bicycle Master Plan to provide short-term, indoor storage for bikes and make biking a more sustainable option on IU’s campus, according to the plan. The Ballantine location was chosen because it was believed to be the most convenient for students who bike on campus, according to the plan.

Storage is primarily composed of wall racks, but there are some floor racks intended for those who cannot lift their bikes onto wall racks and for bikes that will not fit the wall racks. The space is on a first-come, first-serve basis, according to the IU transportation website. 

Scooters and motorcycles are not allowed in the hub, and they may be impounded, according to the IU transportation website.

Related: [Both IU Little 500 races rescheduled for May 26]

Users must register their bike with the IU Office of Parking Operations. A campus bike permit is $10, according to the IU Office of Parking Operations website

Locks are not provided, but users are recommended to lock their bike using a U-lock through the frame and both tires, according to the IU transportation website. IU will not claim responsibility for lost and stolen items.