sports softball

IU softball goes 4-2 in three weekend double-headers in Leesburg, Florida

spiusbrecap030121.jpg

IU softball officially wrapped up its first weekend of playing ball Sunday at the Sleepy Hollow Sports Complex in Leesburg, Florida. 

The first match on Friday started with an uneventful three innings. It wasn’t until the top of the fourth, when Cornhuskers senior outfielder Tristen Edwards hit a one-run homerun to make it 1-0. 

IU responded quickly during the bottom with senior outfielder Gabbi Jenkins and senior catcher Bella Norton hitting RBIs to make it a 2-1 game. Finally, junior infielder Hannah Davis singled to first and allowed Norton to score an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth, making it a 3-1 IU win.

The Hoosiers had three freshmen start against Nebraska in pitcher Macy Montgomery, infielder Brooke Benson and catcher Grace Lorsung. 

Despite a homerun from sophomore catcher Desiree Dufek and a sacrifice fly from Jenkins, the Hoosiers could not provide the run support to compete with Nebraska during the second match on Friday. 

Montgomery threw a wild pitch, allowing Nebraska’s freshman infielder Billie Andrews to score. Other points came from RBIs by Edwards and Andrews. Nebraska defeated IU 4-2. 

The Hoosiers swept Wisconsin Saturday. Wisconsin junior catcher and outfielder Morgan Kummer was a majority of the Badgers’ offense, stealing home and scoring off an wild pitch from senior Emily Goodin during the first. She then hit a homerun in the third inning and a two-run RBI single into right field to keep it close in the sixth.

The Hoosiers prevailed when Dufek, Radcliffe, Jenkins and Norton all hit RBIs during the fifth inning. Jenkins also scored on a pass ball in the fifth. 

Lorsung recorded her first career RBI in the second game during the bottom of the first. The second inning saw an opportunity for redshirt freshman infielder and catcher Christaana Angelopulos to tie it at 1. 

Radcliffe, junior utility player Brittany Ford and junior outfielder Tete Hart all hit RBIs to push for a large 7-1 lead. Senior infielder Annika Baez hit a homerun and senior infielder Katie Lacefield stole home in the fifth inning which cemented a 9-3 win. 

The weekend wrapped up with a split series against the No. 24 Minnesota Golden Gophers on Sunday. The first meet was a strong offensive showing by Minnesota, as the Gophers took it 6-2. 

The second game was a quick turnaround for the IU team. Norton and Davis were able to provide the run support and effort to give the Hoosiers a 4-0 lead. Gophers sophomore infielder Sydney Strelow cut the lead by advancing home on a wild pitch. 

The Hoosiers quickly responded with two RBIs from Lorsung and Norton, stealing home on a wild pitch to make it 7-1. Minnesota’s offense scored four runs and capitalized on errors in the bottom of the seventh. Finally, excellent pitching by Goodin prevented a Minnesota comeback as IU defeated the Gophers 7-5.

IU’s next series of games will continue in Leesburg, Florida, against Northwestern and Rutgers. IU will play the Wildcats from March 11-12. They then move onto the Scarlet Knights from the 13-14.