Mold found at IU’s Foster Quadrangle after student complaints

camoldbreaking032121.jpg

At least one confirmed case of mold was found at Foster Quadrangle this week after numerous student complaints, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email. 

The mold was found in a drip pan in a fan coil unit at Foster Magee Hall, Carney said in an email. 

He said no students have been displaced from the dorm and there are no other confirmed cases of fungal growths as of Sunday. 

“Mold is naturally occurring and it’s not possible to eliminate all mold from the environment,” he said. “Our certified inspectors are able to discern levels that are above what is expected.” 

Carney said students should report any suspected fungal growths to Residential Programs and Services so specific rooms and buildings can be inspected by a certified industrial hygienist. 

Foster and McNutt were renovated in July 2020 after the dorms were temporarily closed in 2018 because of ongoing mold problems.  A class action lawsuit was filed against IU by previous residents in 2018.

Related: [IU wins 2018 mold infestation lawsuit in appeals court]

Current residents are now saying the mold is back in several different buildings and rooms at Foster and McNutt. They have taken to floor group chats and social media to share pictures of what they believe to be mold. 

One resident at Foster started a petition demanding IU address the situation. It has gained over 900 signatures since Monday, with students sharing their personal experiences in the comments.

“I was sick all of first semester and didn’t understand why until now,” one wrote.

“I live in Foster and am currently experiencing the symptoms of being exposed to black mold,” another said. 

The petition calls for the university to reimburse students living at Foster and McNutt residence halls for unsafe living conditions, including an ongoing mold issue, power outages and broken utilities, such as washers, dryers and air conditioning units. 

“Students residing in these dorms feel it is unfair that we are paying the same price for room and board as other students on campus,” the petition said. “We have been inconvenienced and unheard all year.” 

Some of the symptoms of possible mold-related illness reported by residents included sneezing,  congestion, runny nose and rashes.

Carney said the photo of a pipe included in the petition is not evidence of mold. Though it looks like mold, the appearance is because of dust buildup and an overspray of paint on the black cast iron pipe, he said.