IU Latin American Music Center to present talk by David Garcia

<p>University of North Carolina music professor David Garcia poses for a headshot. Garcia will be featured in the free digital event  “&#x27;’Where’s the Orchestra:’ Trumpism and Hauntological Reckonings of Latinidad Music in the Early Nineteenth-Century United States” at 4 p.m. Thursday.</p>

University of North Carolina music professor David Garcia poses for a headshot. Garcia will be featured in the free digital event “'’Where’s the Orchestra:’ Trumpism and Hauntological Reckonings of Latinidad Music in the Early Nineteenth-Century United States” at 4 p.m. Thursday.

The Jacobs School of Music Latin American Music Center will present “'’Where’s the Orchestra:’ Trumpism and Hauntological Reckonings of Latinidad and Music in the Early Nineteenth-Century United States” at 4 p.m. Thursday. The free event will be livestreamed via Zoom and feature University of North Carolina professor of music David Garcia.

Thursday’s event will be the third in the center’s spring installment of “Sounding Latinidades 2021: An Ongoing Series About Music and Identity in Las Américas.” According to the center’s web page, the series’ presentations and discussions will focus on Latinx culture and sound studies.

According to a Monday press release, Garcia’s talk will examine early-19th-century settler colonialism, citizenship and music in North America. It will focus on an audio recording of crying children who were separated from their families.

“This recording’s fleeting but painful materialization of the rhetoric of music — that is, in a border agent’s allusion to an orchestra — opens the historical floodgates of White supremacy and latinidad’s own histories of inflicting trauma and pain on Indigenous and African-descended people,” Garcia said in the press release.

Registration information can be found on the event’s registration page.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments