IU vaccination site opening Monday, IU careful about decisions to reopen

<p>IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said Wednesday in the weekly &quot;Ask Aaron&quot; webinar that IU will have a vaccination pod opening Monday. The testing site will be open to faculty, staff and students, as well as anyone in Bloomington.  </p><p></p>

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said Wednesday in the weekly "Ask Aaron" webinar that IU will have a vaccination pod opening Monday. The testing site will be open to faculty, staff and students, as well as anyone in Bloomington.

IU will have a vaccination pod opening Monday, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said Wednesday at the weekly “Ask Aaron” webinar. 

Dr. Aaron Carroll, IU’s director of mitigation testing, said it is open to faculty, staff and students but anyone in Bloomington can receive a vaccination at the site. He also said it is not necessary for people to receive a vaccination at the Bloomington site if they can receive one elsewhere sooner. 

“The place you can get vaccinated the fastest is probably the best,” Carroll said. “Our goal is just to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible.”

Carroll said out-of-state students can get vaccinated if they live in Indiana, including in residence halls and off-campus housing. Proof of an Indiana address will allow students to receive a vaccination, Carney said.

He said IU is looking into mass vaccination sites to have as many students as possible receive the vaccine.

Related: [Hoosiers 16 and older will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccine March 31, Holcomb says]

He said Indiana has plateaued, not flattened, the number of COVID-19 cases. Carroll said he is worried Gov. Eric Holcomb’s decision to make the mask mandate a mask advisory starting April 6 will send the message that the COVID-19 virus is not dangerous when that isn’t true.

“I do worry about us loosening up some of our restrictions too soon,” Carroll said. 

He said the university will be careful in its decisions to reopen to normal conditions moving into the future.

Related: [IU vaccine director hopes all students will be eligible to receive vaccine by May 1]

“We need to remain vigilant. We need to keep as safe as possible,” Carroll said.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments