COLUMN: Where will each player land in this offseason’s NFL quarterback carousel?

spnsc030421.jpg

Quarterback is the most important position in the game of football, and the offseason movement under center is just beginning. Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff and Carson Wentz have already found new homes in an offseason with a historic number of teams in need of a signal-caller.

I believe there are still 12 teams that need to finalize their quarterback for the 2021 season. Why is that important? Quarterbacks win Super Bowls. All but two of the last 18 champions have had elite quarterbacks. Only the 2012 Baltimore Ravens and 2017 Philadelphia Eagles relied on questionable quarterbacks, both of whom managed to win Super Bowl MVP.

Here are my predictions for who will receive the keys to the offense of the 12 franchises.

Carolina Panthers - Deshaun Watson

The Houston Texans are the kryptonite to Deshaun Watson's Superman. With no desire to stay, Houston will be forced to trade him. The Panthers are a perfect fit and willing to be the highest bidder. Panther fans would be ecstatic to bring back their Clemson University hero to Carolina. 

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reported Feb. 11, "They have an aggressive owner, an aggressive GM, an aggressive coach, and they are all willing to scour the earth for one thing — a long-term solution at quarterback." 

Carolina has an abundance of young weapons and a new mindset across the organization in head coach Matt Rhule’s second season, and Watson will fit in effortlessly.

Las Vegas Raiders - Russell Wilson

Although not as much of a done deal as Watson, rumors are strong on the unsettled state of Russell Wilson's future with the Seattle Seahawks. Wilson approved four teams as trade destinations after lackluster protection, friction with head coach Pete Carroll and his burning desire to win caused issues in Seattle.

I see Wilson landing in Las Vegas due to mutual interest and Raiders' head coach Jon Gruden. The Raiders have improved each season while under Gruden since 2018. The quarterback guru could finally land his franchise player to lead Vegas to the playoffs. 

Seattle Seahawks - Derek Carr

An organization that separates from its quarterback will need one in return. Carr to Seattle may not be glamorous in the eyes of Seahawk fans, but he is a competent quarterback. Carroll has been adamant on running the ball more in 2021, which would lessen the load on Carr’s shoulders. 

While Seattle may not compete for championships without Wilson, they won't find a better immediate replacement without any current high first-round picks. 

Jacksonville Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence

It is all but decided — former Clemson University quarterback Trevor Lawrence will join head coach Urban Meyer in Jacksonville next season as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft. The Jaguars have had one winning season in the past decade. Lawrence has drawn Andrew Luck comparisons for years and the city of Jacksonville hopes the hype pays off.  

New York Jets - Zach Wilson

Although Ohio State’s Justin Fields was considered the No. 2 option by most throughout the 2020 college football season, BYU quarterback Zach Wilson's rise finds himself off the board second overall to New York. The flashy, exciting prospect can bring hope to a dying organization.

The Jets have a whole new coaching staff and will most likely move on from Sam Darnold. 

Washington Football Team - Sam Darnold

Darnold has played two full NFL seasons, yet is still only 23 years old. Plagued by a horrible organizational situation, Darnold struggled to gain any traction in New York. 

After releasing Dwayne Haskins and Alex Smith, the Washington Football Team will surely bring in a new gunslinger. Darnold and head coach Ron Rivera would work great together while providing the former Jet with a much improved supporting cast to support his growth. 

Denver Broncos - Justin Fields

After rivaling Lawrence in high school and college, Fields looks to continue the battle as part of the same draft class. John Elway, now Denver’s President of Football Operations, has cycled through quarterbacks since Peyton Manning's retirement in 2016 and would be over the moon to land Fields with the No. 9 overall pick.

San Francisco 49ers - Trey Lance

The 49ers should move on from Jimmy Garoppolo, who’s not living up to his 5-year, $137.5-million contract. With head coach Kyle Shanahan in charge of the offense, North Dakota State University quarterback Trey Lance would be a very intriguing option in San Francisco. Shanahan is known for his creative play calling and would correctly use Lance's superior athleticism. 

New England Patriots - Mac Jones

Last offseason, Cam Newton arrived in New England with playoff aspirations. It didn't work. At all. 

Head coach Bill Belichick needs a new quarterback he can trust. University of Alabama’s Mac Jones is the old-fashioned, Tom Brady-esque quarterback that Belichick is looking for at pick No. 15. Both a proven winner and competitor after winning the 2021 College Football Playoff Championship, Jones will look to revitalize the Patriots.

Remaining Quarterback Destinations:

New Orleans Saints - Jameis Winston

Chicago Bears - Jimmy Garoppolo

Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater