sports women's basketball

Berger, Holmes earn first team selections as IU gathers Big Ten accolades

spiuwbbaward030821.jpg

Hours after No. 9 IU women’s basketball improved on its program-high AP Top 25 ranking, multiple Hoosiers were named to 2021 All-Big Ten teams and received conference honors Monday. 

Junior guard Grace Berger earned her second consecutive first team selection, averaging 15.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5 assists per game this season. The Louisville, Kentucky, native led the nation with three triple-doubles recorded.

Sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes joined Berger in representing IU as a first team selection by both the coaches and media. Holmes was also named to the media’s All-Defensive Team.

Her 18.2 points and 7.7 rebounds per game are both team highs, and Holmes is also one of the country’s best shot-blockers. Her 64 blocks on the season rank second in the Big Ten and tenth in the nation. 

Senior guard Ali Patberg landed on the conference’s second team, her third straight season receiving an All-Big Ten selection. Patberg’s 14 points per game are third best on the team and she boasts a +2.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.

For the first time in her career, junior forward Aleksa Gulbe earned conference honors as an All-Big Ten honorable mention. The Latvian finished in double-figures ten times and recorded season-highs with 18 points and 12 rebounds against Nebraska for her lone double-double.

Senior guard Keyanna Warthen was recognized as IU’s honoree for the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award, chosen for distinguishing herself through sportsmanship and ethical behavior.

IU, 18-4, awaits the winner of Penn State and Michigan State for its quarterfinal matchup of the Big Ten Tournament at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.