High-risk individuals in Indiana eligible for COVID-19 vaccine

<p>IU Health nurse Anne Fuson prepares to give patient Iva Gloss the second dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine Feb. 24 at the Monroe County Convention Center. Indiana announced Tuesday that people with chronic illnesses and developmental and intellectual disabilities are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. </p>

IU Health nurse Anne Fuson prepares to give patient Iva Gloss the second dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine Feb. 24 at the Monroe County Convention Center. Indiana announced Tuesday that people with chronic illnesses and developmental and intellectual disabilities are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Indiana residents with certain high-risk conditions are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine, according to an Indiana State Department of Health eligibility document updated Tuesday.

Individuals who are eligible include active dialysis patients, sickle cell disease patients, individuals with Down syndrome, people who received a post-solid organ transplant and people in treatment for cancer.

Health care providers will share information with the ISDH about their patients who meet the eligibility requirements for the vaccine, according to IndyStar.

The ISDH said in a letter that those who meet eligibility requirements should check with their primary care physicians to ensure the vaccine will not interfere with any of their current medication. The letter advised individuals to check with their provider about whether they have the correct email and phone number on record for them.

Related: [Ask IDS: Your COVID-19 questions, answered]

The letter also said that an email or text message with a link will be sent to those who are eligible to sign up for a vaccine appointment. The ISDH eligibility document said the patient can also call 211 after receiving the notification.

Other eligible individuals listed include those who are immunocompromised, those who require supplemental oxygen and or tracheostomy and those with intellectual and developmental disabilities, as well as people with early childhood conditions carried into adulthood, such as cystic fibrosis or muscular dystrophy.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments