Winter weather advisory issued, 2-3 inches of snow expected in Bloomington

<p>Students walk Monday by the Hoagy Carmichael sculpture outside of the IU Auditorium. Temperatures are expected to reach a low of -4 degrees in Bloomington this week.  </p>

Students walk Monday by the Hoagy Carmichael sculpture outside of the IU Auditorium. Temperatures are expected to reach a low of -4 degrees in Bloomington this week.

The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory Monday at 2:11 p.m. Bloomington can expect 2 to 3 inches of snow from 6:00 p.m. Monday until 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning, according to the advisory.

The NWS predicted portions of central, south central and southwest Indiana will be affected by the weather event. The temperature in Bloomington is expected to hit a low of about 20 degrees this evening, according to the NWS website.

The NWS warned the snow accumulation could cause hazardous road conditions, and could impact commutes this evening and early tomorrow. The advisory recommends that those living in areas affected by the snow accumulation take precautions by driving slowly.

The Weather Channel forecasts very low temperatures this weekend, with a low of around 3 degrees on Friday and negative 4 degrees on both Saturday and Sunday.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.