bloomington

Monroe Co. under travel warning as winter storm blankets Bloomington Monday night

idssnow_1.jpg

A winter storm blanketed Bloomington in several inches of snow Monday night. Monroe County was under a travel warning as of 5 p.m. Monday. A warning is Indiana’s highest level of local travel advisory and means individuals should refrain from all travel, according to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

The National Weather Services predicted the snowfall could reach 5 to 8 inches by early Tuesday morning. A winter storm warning will remain in effect until 7 a.m. Tuesday.

The NWS warned the storm could make travel difficult. It reported areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. Slick snow could also cover the roads.

The NWS recommended keeping individuals who cannot avoid traveling keep extra flashlights, food and water in their vehicles.

The heaviest snowfall is expected to continue until 10 p.m. Monday. In addition to the heavy snowfall, the NWS predicted sustained gusts of wind between 15 and 20 MPH and occasional gusts of 30 MPH, which could create periods of lower visibility and drifting snow.

Hazardous weather conditions may continue into later in the week, according to the NWS report. Additional rounds of snowfall may occur Wednesday and/or Thursday night.