Bluebird nightclub shuts down temporarily to develop COVID-19 safety plan

<p>A sign is lit up for the Cadillac Three Jan. 30, 2020, outside the Bluebird. The Bluebird temporarily shut down Thursday to create a plan for COVID-19 safety and compliance. </p>

A sign is lit up for the Cadillac Three Jan. 30, 2020, outside the Bluebird. The Bluebird temporarily shut down Thursday to create a plan for COVID-19 safety and compliance.

The Bluebird nightclub temporarily shut down Thursday to develop a plan for COVID-19 safety and compliance, according to an email from Kathy Hewett, public information officer for the Monroe County Health Department.

Owner David Kubiak said the venue, located in downtown Bloomington on Walnut Street, will reopen this weekend. 

Monroe County Health Department administrator Penny Caudill said the Bluebird voluntarily closed for safety reasons. 

“The Bluebird closed voluntarily for a short time and is working with MCHD on developing a strong organizational plan for COVID-19 safety and compliance,” Caudill said.

Kubiak said in an email the Bluebird is working to put on the safest shows possible during the pandemic.

The Bluebird closed temporarily in March but announced its reopening in an Instagram post in June. It has been presenting live music shows at limited capacity. The nightclub’s current guidelines are available on the Bluebird’s website.

Local musician Hank Ruff was scheduled to perform at 10 p.m. Thursday. The Bluebird has been open and holding live music events since 1973, with performances over the years from acts such as John Mellencamp, John Prine and Dizzy Gillespie.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments