IU football hires Georgia defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as defensive coordinator

<p>IU football head coach Tom Allen points into the air Nov. 14, 2020, in Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. IU football announced on Sunday the hiring of Georgia defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as defensive coordinator.</p>

IU football head coach Tom Allen points into the air Nov. 14, 2020, in Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. IU football announced on Sunday the hiring of Georgia defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as defensive coordinator.

IU football has hired the University of Georgia’s defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as its new defensive coordinator, per reports.

In 2019, Warren helped lead a Georgia defense that led the nation in scoring defense with 12.6 points per game and rushing defense with 74.9 yards per game.

Warren will replace Kane Wommack, who accepted a head coaching position at the University of South Alabama. Wommack was hired by the Jaguars on Dec. 12 and coached IU through the Outback Bowl.

Related:  [IU football’s Kane Wommack hired as South Alabama’s head coach]

At IU, Warren will take charge of a defense that was second in the nation in interceptions and was fourth in the Big Ten in scoring defense during the 2020 season.

Warren, who is credited as a top recruiter, coached cornerbacks at the University of Florida in 2018 and coached the University of Tennessee’s defensive backs in 2017. Warren was named the 18th best recruiter in the country for the 2020 class by 24/7 Sports.

He coached at the U.S. Air Force Academy from 2005-2013 in a variety of defensive roles. Warren has also coached for the University of North Carolina and Nebraska.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments