Former IU men’s basketball player Wayne Radford dies at 64

<p>Former IU men&#x27;s basketball player Wayne Radford is pictured in 1976. Radford was a member of the 1976 undefeated national championship team.</p>

Former IU men's basketball player Wayne Radford is pictured in 1976. Radford was a member of the 1976 undefeated national championship team.

Former IU men’s basketball player Wayne Radford died over the weekend at 64. He was a member of the 1976 undefeated national championship team. 

"The IU Athletics family is heartbroken about the passing of Wayne Radford,” IU Athletic Director Scott Dolson said in a press release. “Wayne was an outstanding student athlete and a key member of some of our basketball program's all-time great teams in the 1970s.”

Radford played for IU from 1975-78, averaging 8.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. As a senior, he averaged 15.6 points per game and led the Hoosiers in field goal percentage while shooting 57.9%. He was named team MVP. 

Radford was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 and was a member of the 1999 Silver Anniversary team. 

In 1978, he was the No. 27 pick in the NBA draft by the Indianapolis Pacers.

Radford was a member of the IU Varsity Club and a member of IU’s Varsity Club National Board of Directors.

“Wayne did all of that because he loved IU and IU Athletics,” Dolson said. “He was committed to making a difference on behalf of our student athletes."

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments