student life

Students facing personal problems, concerned about friends can submit a care referral

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 10.57.15 AM.png

As the semester ends, students may feel overwhelmed. Care referrals offer a way for students to access mental health resources and professional help for themselves or a friend, DeeDee Dayhoff, IU assistant dean for student services and parents said in an email.

People wishing to make a submission can fill out an online form on the Division of Student Affairs website. In the submission, they will write the reason for the referral and have the option of including any relevant information and documentation, Care Assistant Brianna Murray said in an email. There is an option for the person submitting the referral to remain anonymous, but that may limit the care team’s ability to address the concern.

A Care referral can be submitted for any reason concerning the safety and well-being of IU students, including personal issues, family and relationship concerns, mental health concerns, bias issues, academic problems and other concerns of general well-being,Murray said.

Care referrals are open for submissions from anyone, including IU faculty and staff, parents and community members who are concerned about an IU student’s wellbeing. Students may also submit a referral for themselves, Murray wrote.

Once the Care referral is submitted, it is reviewed by a team of trained staff members and the office will reach out to the student with resources they can use, as well as an offer to meet for more in-depth support, Care Coordinator Elizabeth Glaze said in an email. She said referrals are typically processed within 48 hours of their submission.

Some of the most common resourcesstudents will be connected with include tutoring services, Student Advocates Office, Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Legal Services and a number of other offices within IU, Glaze said.

The person who submitted the referral may be updated if they are directly involved with the concern, she wrote. For most referrals the care and support the student receives is kept confidential for the privacy of the student, Glaze said.