Second Black Lives Matter Mural to be installed downtown in 2021

<p>The City of Bloomington mural located in People’s Park has been painted over with the words “BLACK LIVES MATTER.” The message was painted on June 19, but the artist is still unknown. 

</p>

The City of Bloomington mural located in People’s Park has been painted over with the words “BLACK LIVES MATTER.” The message was painted on June 19, but the artist is still unknown.

The Bloomington Arts Commission and the Banneker Community Center Advisory Council have announced the approval of the second Black Lives Matter mural to be installed in April on Sixth Street between College Avenue and Walnut Street. 

The tentative installation date is April 17, 2021, but is pending approval of the Board of Public Works.

This mural will not have the artistic design of the first but will be multicolored in block lettering,” said Erik Pearson, Program/Facility Coordinator of the Banneker Community Center. “We do anticipate having community involvement as we did the first mural on Elm street, subject to the state of COVID-19 in the spring.”

Murals stating Black Lives Matter are being painted in cities around the country in response to protests against police brutality. This mural will complement the mural in front of the Banneker Community Center installed on Oct. 24 to fulfill the goal of having artistic and highly trafficked murals.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.