IU football’s Micah McFadden, Haydon Whitehead named Big Ten Players of the Week

spfbawards120720.jpg

Following IU football’s 14-6 victory over No. 16 Wisconsin on Dec. 5 in Madison, two Hoosiers were recognized Monday by the Big Ten for their performances. 

Junior linebacker Micah McFadden was honored as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the week after tying a career-high two sacks and recorded a team-high nine tackles against the Badgers. He led an IU defense that held Wisconsin to its lowest point total against the program since 1992. 

phiufbextras111420_12.jpg
Senior Micah McFadden hypes up the defense following a play Nov. 14 at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. McFadden was named Big Ten defensive player of the week Monday. Alex Deryn

McFadden claimed the first Defensive Player of the Week honor of his career. He was also named the Walter Camp Foundation National Defensive Player of the Week on Sunday for his performance. 

Graduate punter Haydon Whitehead was also honored as the Big Ten Co-Special Teams Player of the Week, alongside Ohio State senior punter Drue Chrisman. Four of Whitehead’s punts were downed inside the Wisconsin 20-yard line, including two inside the 10. 

Whitehead placed a punt at the 1-yard line and did not allow Wisconsin to return any punts. He totaled five punts for 201 yards and 40.2 yards per punt. 

It’s also the first time in his career that Whitehead has been named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week.