Big Ten changes eligibility rules to allow Ohio State in championship, eliminates IU

<p>Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren speaks about the cancellation of the men&#x27;s basketball tournament March 12 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Big Ten changed its football championship rules to allow Ohio State to play in it, eliminating IU.</p>

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren speaks about the cancellation of the men's basketball tournament March 12 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Big Ten changed its football championship rules to allow Ohio State to play in it, eliminating IU.

The Big Ten announced a change in its rules for the eligibility of the conference championship game to allow Ohio State to represent the Big Ten East, instead of IU.

"The decision was based on a competitive analysis which determined that Ohio State would have advanced to the Big Ten Football Championship Game based on its undefeated record and head-to-head victory over Indiana regardless of a win or loss against Michigan," the statement said.

Originally the Big Ten rules stated that a team had to play six games, or at least two fewer than the league average to qualify.

With Ohio State’s scheduled game against Michigan canceled, the Buckeyes have only played five games heading into championship weekend, but will now still be eligible to play in the championship.

"Although we understand the conference’s decision, we are disappointed," IU Athletic Director Scott Dolson said in a statement. "From the start of the year, we have said we can only control what we can control. We had a chance to earn our spot in the Big Ten Championship Game, but ultimately fell a touchdown short on the road against a great Ohio State team. We look forward to resuming activities and completing one of the best seasons in our school’s history.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments