politics

President Donald Trump projected to win Indiana, the 18th state called in the 2020 election

IN-Trump

President Donald Trump is projected to win Indiana, according to the Associated Press. It called the race for him at 8:52 p.m. and Indiana’s 11 electoral college votes will go to Trump. 

The AP has already called Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Arkansas for Trump and Vermont, Virginia, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island for former Vice President Joe Biden.

Trump also won Indiana in 2016 with 56.5% of the vote, edging out Hillary Clinton.

The last time Indiana went for a Democratic presidential candidate was in 2008 when former President Barack Obama won the state by a margin of less than 1%.

Indiana GOP chairman Kyle Hupfer congraulated Trump in an email sent out Tuesday night.

“Once again Indiana is first on the board for President Trump and our own Hoosier Vice President Mike Pence. Indiana will be watching the national returns come in tonight and looking forward to four more years of the Trump-Pence administration,” he said in the email.

This story has been updated at 11 p.m. Tuesday to include a quote from Kyle Hupfer.