Instant Recap: No. 10 IU defeats Michigan State 24-0 in East Lansing

spfbinstantrecap111420.jpg

FINAL: IU lines up in victory formation to close out a 7 minute drive. IU wins 24-0, winning the Old Brass Spittoon for the first time under Tom Allen. The Hoosiers are 4-0.

7:31: Michigan State is forced to punt. Reese Taylor returns the ball 20 yards to the Spartans' 45.

9:41: Michigan State's defense holds IU out of the end zone. The Hoosiers fail to convert on fourth down, giving the Spartans the ball back in deep in their territory again.

11:29: Thorne overthrows his receiver and Reese Taylor is there for the interception, IU's third on the day. Taylor returns it to the 9-yard line.

12:53: IU punts it back to Michigan State. The Hoosiers picked up one first down on the drive but couldn't string anything together.

Penix connects with Fryfogle on first down. Fryfogle has 200 yards on the day, the first IU receiver to reach that mark since 2016.

Fourth Quarter

1:15: Michigan State converts one fourth down attempt but is stopped on its second. IU gets the ball back on its own 38.

4:25: IU goes for it on fourth down inside the 10-yard line but can't convert. Michigan State gets the ball on downs at their own five.

6:07: Michigan State goes three and out, including a 13-yard sack by Micah McFadden. The punt goes 21-yards, and the Hoosiers get the ball back inside Spartan territory.

7:33: IU starts to put together a decent drive but can't convert on a long third down. A punt gives Michigan State the ball back at its own 17.

11:46: Michigan State's drive stalls out after a holding penalty. The punt is downed at IU's four-yard line.

Michigan State receives the kickoff to start the second half after deferring to open the game. The kick goes for a touchback.

Third Quarter

:27: Charles Campbell misses a 41-yard field goal. Michigan State gets the ball back and runs one play to end the half. IU leads 24-0

2:25: Jerome Johnson gets another sack, this one on fourth down. The Hoosiers get the ball back near midfield.

TOUCHDOWN: 24-0 IU. Penix connects with Fryfogle for a 65-yard touchdown. Penix has 269 passing yards and Fryfogle has 178 receiving yards.

7:36: After Thorne's long run, Michigan State's drive stalls. The punt gives IU the ball at its own 21.

Freshman quarterback Payton Thorne replaces Lombardi. His first play from scrimmage is a 38-yard run.

FIELD GOAL: Charles Campbell hits from 21 yards to make the IU lead 17-0. The Hoosiers fail to score a touchdown after a pass interference call on Fryfogle in the end zone.

11:43: Mullen intercepts the very next pass from Lombardi. It's IU's third turnover of the day.

11:53: Penix is picked off in the end zone, his second interception of the day. IU fails to score in the red zone for the first time this season. Michigan State ball at its own 15.

Second Quarter

END OF FIRST: Michigan State is forced to punt after Jerome Johnson sacks Lombardi. IU gets the ball just on the other side of the 50-yard line to start the second quarter.

TOUCHDOWN: Ty Fryfogle catches a screen pass and carries several defenders with him into the end zone for a 16-yard score. Charles Campbell adds the PAT and puts No. 10 IU up, 14-0.

1:29: Thomas Allen forces a fumble and James Head Jr. recovers. It's IU's second forced turnover in the game, and second in as many drives.

TOUCHDOWN: Stevie Scott III rushes 8 yards up the middle for a touchdown. IU goes up 7-0.

5:26: Tiawan Mullen intercepts Rocky Lombardi's throw on first down. IU gets its first turnover of the day.

5:42: IU can't convert on a third and one. The Hoosiers punt it back to Michigan State, who will start the drive at the 28-yard line.

9:20: IU holds on third down and forces a punt. IU takes over at its own 5.

12:04: Sophomore quarterback Michael Penix throws an interception on a long third down.

Michigan State wins the toss and defers to the second half. IU receives the kickoff to start the game.

First Quarter