Black Voices

Black Voices: Meet Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated

bvdelta.JPG

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated was founded January 13, 1913, on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C., by 22 trail-blazing women. Since then, the sisterhood has expanded to more than 300,000 members of predominantly Black, college-educated women throughout the U.S., Canada, Japan, Germany, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Republic of Korea. 

Committed to sisterhood, scholarship and service, the primary focus is to serve and assist those in need in predominantly Black communities. All programmatic efforts are aligned with the organization’s Five-Point Programmatic Thrusts: Economic Development, Educational Development, International Awareness and Involvement, Physical and Mental Health and Political Awareness and Involvement. 

As the first Black public service sorority, the membership strives to uplift the Black community through power in our voice and social action. The sorority has contributed to various social action initiatives, including being actively present during the annual Delta Days at the Nation’s Capital and Delta Days at the United Nations. 

Currently, members of Delta are still at the forefront of social action, from fighting for racial justice and equality in the Black Lives Matter movement, to assisting the essential workers on the front lines to encouraging citizens to vote in the most critical election of our lifetime. 

The Gamma Nu Chapter of Delta was chartered November 8, 1947, at IU and prides itself on upholding the ideals of the sorority by serving the IU and Bloomington community. The many members of Gamma Nu have become doctors, nurses, lawyers, judges and entrepreneurs who continue to advocate and educate our communities. 

Notably, on April 13, 1993, the Bloomington mayor Tomilea Allison bestowed the recognition of “Gamma Nu Day” in Bloomington to applaud the chapter’s ongoing efforts to improve the life of IU students and the Bloomington community. 

Due to COVID-19 pandemic, all chapters of Delta must provide virtual programming, however, that has not stopped the chapter’s efforts. The chapter uses various virtual platforms to achieve the sorority’s mission through innovative and creative programming. Programs and initiatives such as “What You Can Do To Help,” “Voting While Black,” “Midwest Impact Day of Service” and our “Then Vote: Save the Dates” rap video have exemplified Gamma Nu’s continuous efforts in promoting social action and public service. 

Currently, there are 10 chapter members who, upon graduation, aim to leave a lasting impact in the Bloomington community and campus while continuing to serve on various executive boards that advocate for underrepresented students. 

It is paramount to the chapter to use their collective voice to advocate for institutional accountability and demand change. As the members are called to serve, the ladies of Gamma Nu strive to uphold the foundation set forth by the sorority’s founders and break social barriers. Please be sure to follow the chapter on Instagram and Twitter @gammanudeltas for more information on all upcoming events and initiatives.