bloomington coronavirus

Monroe County eclipses 3,000 total COVID-19 cases

coronavirus filler

Monroe County passed 3,000 total COVID-19 cases in Monday’s update to the state’s dashboard.

The dashboard reported 27 new cases from Sunday, increasing the total to 3,015. 

Indiana’s state COVID-19 dashboard updates daily with testing data from the previous day. 

In a Thursday meeting, the Monroe County Health Board said Monroe County is currently averaging 28 new cases per day. That comes while new positive cases per day continue to rise across Indiana. 

According to the state’s COVID-19 dashboard, there has been a sharp increase in the rate of new cases per day since Sept. 24. Then, Indiana reported an average of 825 new cases per day. Now, Indiana reports an average of 1,519 new cases per day.

Indiana has had its three highest single day increases in cases since Oct. 8. 

While the state is seeing among its largest spikes in new cases, Monroe County is seeing its own curve begin to decline. The state reports Monroe County is seeing a decrease in positivity rates over the last week. 

Monroe County set its three highest single day totals of cases between Sept. 10 and 14. Though the averages of new cases per day has progressively decreased since then. 

The county has reported 37 total deaths. That total has not changed Sept. 25.

Within Indiana District 8, where Monroe County is located, the total of hospitalized COVID-19 patients has doubled from 20 to 45 since Sept. 28. There were five hospitalizations in District 8 alone on Sunday. 

The dashboard reports 61.8% of intensive care unit beds are available and 93.7% of ventilators are available. COVID-19 patients make up 13.7% of intensive care unit beds in District 8 and 4.5% of ventilator use. 

Of the 3,015 cases in Monroe County, 73.1% of them come from people younger than 29 years old.

IU’s COVID-19 response team has said there is no evidence IU students are spreading cases into the rest of Monroe County. The school has reported 1,823 total cases through mitigation testing as of last week’s dashboard update. 

According to Dr. Aaron Carroll, IU’s director of mitigation testing, the school is reporting all of its testing data to the state.